Department Of Education Seeks Summer Food Service Sponsors

The Oklahoma State Department of Education is seeking sponsoring organizations for the 2012 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). Eligible sponsors include public or governmental agencies, private, nonprofit residential summer camps and private, nonprofit organizations.

“We need community partners to implement this critical program,” said State Superintendent of Public Instruction Janet Barresi. “Help us ensure that every child in our state comes back to school in the fall healthy, focused and ready to learn.”

The Summer Food Service Program provides nutritious meals at no charge to children from needy areas who participate in summer educational or recreational programs as well as for eligible children enrolled in camps during the summer vacation. Any child 18 years of age or younger may participate. Anyone over 18 years of age who is determined by the state education agency or local public education agency of the state to be mentally or physically disabled may participate.

Needy areas are defined as those in which half of the children are eligible for free and reduced price meals in school. Eligibility also may be determined by census information or individual eligibility of children. Financial assistance is given to approved sponsors to assist with the cost of obtaining, preparing and serving food under the program, including administrative costs.

Those interested in sponsoring a summer food service program, should contact Linda Wren, Child Nutrition Programs,
2500 North Lincoln Blvd., Suite 310
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-3327 Fax: (405) 521-2239

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination forward immediately to:

United State Department of Agriculture (USDA)

Director, Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Last updated on May 8, 2012