State Superintendent Janet Barresi today announced the Oklahoma’s 2013 Teacher of the Year finalists at a special presentation at the Oklahoma state Capitol.
“I’m so impressed with the work of each of these finalists and by their vision for education in the state of Oklahoma,” Barresi said. “As I read about each finalist, I saw a willingness to do whatever it takes to move students to the next levels in literacy, STEM and all of learning. I feel blessed to see such passion, creativity and devotion in service of children.”
Committees comprised of teachers, parents and community members selected the 12 finalists -- two finalists from each of the six regions in the state. A state committee comprised of education business and civic leaders will choose the winner, with Superintendent Barresi scheduled to make the announcement in ceremonies at the Oklahoma State Fair in September.
The winner represents Oklahoma in the national Teacher of the Year competition, receives more than $50,000 in cash and prizes from generous donors, and serves as Oklahoma’s “Ambassador of Teaching,” presenting to teachers and civic groups throughout the state for one year.
The finalists for Teachers of the Year are:
• Cindy Bailey – is a 9th- through 12th-grade Algebra I, geometry, pre-calculus and ACT prep teacher at Altus High School with 14 years of experience.
• Carol Brinsfield – is a 3rd- and 4th-grade reading teacher at Checotah Intermediate School with 16 years of experience.
• Andrea Brock – is a 7th-grade math teacher at Moore West Junior High with eight years of experience.
• Daniel Buckmaster – is a 6th-grade science teacher at Belle Isle Enterprise Middle School in the Oklahoma City Public Schools District with seven years of experience.
• Kyle Cooper – is a prekindergarten teacher at Central Elementary School in the Coweta Public Schools District with eight years of experience.
• Tiffani Cooper – is a 9th- and 10th-grade Advanced English I and II teacher at Owasso Mid-High School with five years of experience.
• Elaine Hutchison – is an Algebra II, trigonometry, pre-calculus and AP calculus teacher who splits her time between Fairview High School and Chamberlain Middle School in the Fairview Public Schools District and the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics Regional Center. She has 19 years experience.
• Lisa Lamont – is a kindergarten teacher at Irving Elementary School in the Muskogee Public Schools District with 13 years experience.
• Kim Landers – is a 9th- through 12-grade Spanish teacher at Deer Creek High School with 14 years experience.
• Lane Matheson – is a pre-AP physics, AP physics B, digital electronics, and engineering robotics teacher at Memorial High School and Engineering Academy in the Tulsa Public Schools District. She has 16 years experience.
• Brenda Roberts – is a 3rd-grade teacher at Homer Elementary School in the Byng Public Schools District with 13 years of experience.
• Lee Ann Stone – is a kindergarten teacher at Woodward’s Early Childhood Center with 21.5 years of experience.
Go here for more about the Oklahoma Teacher of the Year.