Summer Food Service Program

Sponsor Information

More resource and training information are available on the SFSP Web site.


Who can sponsor SFSP?

Sponsors must be organizations that are fully capable of managing a food service program. To be a sponsor, you must follow regulations and be responsible, financially and administratively, for running your program. Eligible organizations include:

  • Public or Private Nonprofit Schools
  • Units of Local, Municipal, County, Tribal, or State Government
  • Private Nonprofit Organizations
  • Public or Private Nonprofit Camps
  • Public or Private Nonprofit Universities or Colleges

A sponsor may provide its own meals, purchase meals through an agreement with an area school, or contract for meals with a food vendor.

What is a site?

The SFSP reaches only a fraction of the children in need. The primary reason for the limited access to the program is that there are not enough feeding sites. Your community building or place of faith could become a feeding site. Sites are the physical locations where food is served. Each site location must work with a SFSP sponsor that is financially and administratively responsible for the meal service at the site. You can also help by coordinating site participation with other youth activity programs in your area. There are three common types of sites: open, camps (residential and nonresidential), and closed enrolled sites.

  • Open (at least half the children in the area are eligible for free and reduced-price school meals).
  • Enrolled (at least half the children enrolled in the program are eligible for free and reduced-price school meals).
  • Camp (it offers a regularly scheduled food service as part of a residential or day camp program).
Who is eligible to receive free meals?
  • All children 18 years of age or younger who come to an approved open site or to an eligible enrolled site.
  • At camps, only the children who are eligible for free and reduced-price meals.
  • People over age 18 who are enrolled in school programs for persons with disabilities.

Reimbursement Rates (combined)

(January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2015)

2015 Per Meal Rates Rural or Self-Prep Sites All Other Types of Sites
Breakfast 2.0775 2.0375
Lunch or Supper 3.6450 3.5875
Snack 0.8650 0.8450


The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the USDA.  (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

To file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866)632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

For more information on becoming a SFSP sponsor, please contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education Child Nutrition Programs at (405) 521-3327.

Last updated on December 13, 2017