School administrators and counselors are invited to participate in the Counseling Consortium, a group of Oklahoma educators focused on counseling school issues. The Consortium meets to discuss issues regarding ACE implementation, standards-based grading, use of technology to enhance instruction, the pyramid of behavioral and academic interventions, professional learning communities, and more. Group members will network with peers to collaborate on what is working and what is not working.
- Bullies 2 Buddies - Find student, teacher and family resources about changing the impact of bullying on this site. It is a fun site with serious information.
- Helping Hands Lesson - This is an ongoing lesson to help children learn that our hands are for helping. Included are a few ideas and concepts to help with the lesson.
- Pretzels - A weekly activity that allows the exchange of compliments and criticism among the students in your class can help resolve conflicts and teach children how to properly handle conflict.
- Rock or Feather: A Critical-Thinking Activity - A simple activity can reveal much about the students you work with each day. Students make and defend their choices in this activity. Included are comments from teachers who have used this activity and a printable activity sheet.
- Students Teach Students: Using Student Essays To Build Coping Skills and Self-Esteem - Essays written by teens about issues that teens face might help build students' self esteem and their ability to "triumph over trouble." Included is information about a new essay contest for students ages seven to eighteen.
- Ten Activities to Improve Students' Self-Concepts - Ten simple projects to help preserve individuality and promote self-esteem.
Admission Standards for Oklahoma Colleges and Universities
The admission standards are set by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and are revised annually if needed.
- American Psychological Association - The APA represents psychology in the United States, and is the largest association for psychologists worldwide.
- American School Counselor Association - ASCA is the national organization that represents the profession of school counseling. ASCA focuses on providing professional development, enhancing school counseling programs, and researching effective school counseling practices.
- National Association for College Admission Counseling - NACAC is an education association of secondary school counselors, college and university admission officers and counselors and related individuals who work with students as they make the transition from high school to postsecondary education.
- National Association of School Psychologists - The National Association of School Psychologists represents school psychology and supports school psychologists to enhance the learning and mental health of all children and youth.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards - The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) sets standards and offers national certification in nearly 30 fields, including school counseling. School counselors may apply directly to the NBPTS for national certification. For additional information, see "National Board Certified Teachers".
- Oklahoma Counseling Association - Oklahoma's organization for all persons engaged in any phase of personnel work, educational-vocational guidance and professional counseling. The Association is organized as a state branch of the American Counseling Association.
- Oklahoma School Counselor Association - This organization works to foster a closer personal and professional relationship among school counselors and with counselors in other settings. Additionally, the group works to improve the standards of counseling and the relationships with other pupil personnel services for students in elementary, middle school/junior high, senior high and post-high school settings.
Resources for Counselors
- Addiction Resource Guide - Whether you are an informed professional, a confused parent, or someone in between, this site provides a comprehensive directory of addiction treatments facilities on-line.
- Counseling and Student Services Clearinghouse - The goal of ERIC/CASS is to offer resources which respond to needs frequently expressed by counselors and therapists.
- Disability Awareness Scholarship - MilitaryVALoan.com is pleased to offer scholarships in support of disability awareness. Every year, a prosepective or curretn collete stufent will be selected to revieve a $1,000 scholarship to help with the costs associated with atteting school.
- Disaster Training: An introduction to Psychological First Aid
- Dropout Prevention - State law (70 O.S.§ 35E) defines a dropout as "any student who is under the age of 19 and has not graduated from high school and is not attending any public or private school or is otherwise receiving an education pursuant to law for the full term the schools of the school district in which he/she resides are in session."
- Education World's Counseling Center - This site provides access to a multitude of links that assist school counselors with academic planning, mental health issues, at-risk students, and other guidance and counseling issues.
- Education World's Mental Health Site - Counselors can locate information about dealing with school tragedies, students with cancer, shy students, and a whole host of other topics to help their students.
- Mental Help Net - This site is home to the oldest & largest online mental health guide and community.
- National Crime Prevention Council - NCPC is a private, nonprofit, tax-exempt organization whose mission is to prevent crime and build safer, more caring communities.
- National Dropout Prevention Center/Network - The purpose of NDPC/N is to provide resources that enable a new or enhanced appreciation for the importance of a quality education and a high school diploma.
- National Mental Health Association - Mental Health America is the country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping all people live mentally healthier lives.
- National School Safety Center - The center serves as an advocate for safe, secure, and peaceful schools and as a catalyst for the prevention of school crime and violence.
- Prevention Education - A compelation of resources and programs relating to Bullying, Internet Safety, Substance Abuse, Suicide, Teen Dating Viollence, and Youth Violence Prevention.
- Scholarship and Financial Aid News - This page is a simple and quick way to find some exciting financial aid and scholarship opportunities for your students.