Oklahoma Alternative Placement Program provides an opportunity for individuals with non-teaching degrees to teach in Oklahoma accredited schools.
NEW - Alternative Placement Eval Application - Effective Nov. 14th 2016
NEW - Guidelines for the Alternative Placement Certification Program - Effective Nov. 1st 2016
What is the Oklahoma Alternative Placement Program, and who is eligible to participate in this alternative route to certification?
The Oklahoma Alternative Placement Program provides an opportunity for individuals with non-teaching degrees to teach in Oklahoma accredited schools. The eligibility requirements are:
What must I do to be admitted to the program?
To determine if you meet the eligibility requirements for the Oklahoma Alternative Placement Program submit the following:
- Alternative Placement Application with a $50 processing fee (check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to the Oklahoma State Department of Education
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities. Transcript must denote degree earned and the date degree was conferred.
- A current resume
You will receive a letter notifying you if you are approved to seek certification through the program. If you are not eligible, you will receive a letter notifying you of additional requirements that must be met prior to receiving approval.
What must I do after being approved to seek an alternative certificate?
Once you receive approval to seek an alternative certificate, complete the following:
- The Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET)
- The Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT) in the area(s) you have been approved to seek.
What do I submit after passing the OGET and the OSAT(s)?
After you have passed the above tests, submit the following:
- Submit fingerprint cards and the $59 fee for a criminal history record search
- Or, for faster and more accurate results, you may have your fingerprints laser-scanned at the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE), Room 212, 2500 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for a $59 processing fee.
- Fingerprints are scanned at the OSDE between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. For additional information refer to Fingerprints/Background Checks Information.
What must I complete after I get my initial alternative certificate to receive an alternative standard certificate?
To receive an alternative standard certificate, you must complete the following:
- Complete the professional education component, semester hours and/or development hours you are assigned upon acceptance. IMPORTANT: Don't forget the mandatory requirements outlined on page 2 of the Guidelines for the Alternative Placement Certification Program.
- Pass the Oklahoma Professional Teaching Exam (OPTE)
After meeting the above requirements, please submit the following:
- Alternative Placement Renewal Application
- $50 processing fee (check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to the Oklahoma State Department of Education
- You must also submit documentation of the professional education component. Development hours must be verified by the school district. Semester hours should be submitted on an official transcript
Can I renew an alternative certificate?
No. The professional education component and Oklahoma Professional Teaching Exam (OPTE) must be completed within three years of initial certification. Therefore, the initial certificate is not renewable.
Alternative Placement Renewal Application
Back to Alternative Certification Paths