Four-Year-Olds and Younger Teaching Certificate

The Four-Year-Olds and Younger Teaching Certificate is for Child Development Associates with experience in Head Start programs to attain a teaching certificate to teach four-year-old and younger students in a public school.

I have taught in a Head Start program and would like to teach in a public school. Is there a way I can do that?

Yes. If you have five years teaching experience in a Head Start program, currently hold a Child Development Associate (CDA), and you have earned a bachelor’s degree in any area you may apply for a teaching certificate. This certificate is restricted to teach four-year-old and younger students in a public school.

After I receive a bachelor’s degree, what do I have to complete to be certified to teach?

To receive a certificate to teach four-year-olds and younger, please submit all of the following:

  • Verification of at least five years of experience as an early childhood educator with the Head Start program.
  • A copy of your current Child Development Associate (CDA) credential.
  • Official copies of all college transcripts. Transcript must denote degree earned and the date the degree was conferred.
  • Passing scores for the Oklahoma General Education Test and the Early Childhood Education Subject Area Test.
  • Submit fingerprint cards and the $53.94 fee for a criminal history record search.
    • Or, for faster and more accurate results, you may have your fingerprints laser-scanned at the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE), Room 212, 2500 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for a $53.94 processing fee.
    • Fingerprints are scanned at the OSDE between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. For additional information refer to Fingerprints/Background Checks Information.
  • Application for Certificate to Teach Four-Year-Olds and Younger
  • $50 processing fee (check, cashier’s check or money order) made payable to the Oklahoma State Department of Education.


Can I add another subject area to my Four-Year-Olds and Younger certificate by testing?

No. This credential is limited by Oklahoma Law.


back button icon Back to Alternative Certification Paths


Last updated on April 9, 2018